Have you ever had something made with brown butter? It’s so delicious! Brown Butter is one of those magical secret ingredients that enhances the flavor of about anything from savory to sweet.
Not only are these brown butter cinnamon rolls drenched in brown butter put I also topped them with a brown butter maple cream frosting.
Oh, yes! Breakfast at it’s finest!
Brown Butter Cinnamon Rolls
For the Cinnamon Rolls:
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup warm water yeast and 2 tablespoons of sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine bread flour 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt, whisking to blend.
- Fit the mixer with a paddle attachment, add oil, eggs and vanilla to the yeast mixture.
- Gradually add flour mixture to yeast mixture, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Add remaining 1 cup all-purpose flour, beating to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray. turning to coat top. Cover and let stand in a warm draft-free place until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down; cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Lightly spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to an 18x10-inch rectangle.
- Brush dough with melted browned butter.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture, leaving a 1-inch border on long side of dough.
- Tightly roll up dough jelly-roll style, starting at the long side and pressing edge to seal.
- Cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch slices.
- Place, cut side down, in prepared skillet.
- Cover and let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- DRIZZLE ANY REMAINING BROWNED BUTTER OVER THE TOPS OF THE CINNAMON ROLLS.
- Bake cinnamon roll until lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
For the Browned Butter:
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Cook until butter turn medium brown and has a nutty aroma, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; strain and let cool to room temperature.
- Use immediately, or store, covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
For the Browned Butter Maple Cream Frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat browned butter at high speed until smooth.
- Add extracts and salt, beat until combined.
- Reduce speed to low, gradually add confectioners' sugar 1 cup at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add buttermilk a little at a time until frosting reaches a smooth spreadable consistency.
- Frost warm cinnamon rolls and serve!