Cuban Sandwich: This crowd pleasing sandwich is full of flavor and can be cooked on low all night in a slow cooker; which means it will be ready in time for the game! Or make the day before and take to a “game day” party in your slow cooker and reheat right in the slow cooker. I love how the lime not only adds a nice touch of citrus but also helps to break down and tenderize the meat. Add shredded jack cheese for extra touch of flavor and a creamy texture. Store leftovers in single serving containers and freeze for lunches.
- 2 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1-1/4 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1-1/4 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (2 pound) beef (roast)
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 10 french rolls
- jack cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 recipe Picadillo Relish
- Place onion in a 3-1/2 to 4- quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine cumin, black pepper, garlic, onion powder, oregano, red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cut meat crosswise into four pieces.
- Rub spice mixture evenly over all sides of meat pieces.
- Pour beef broth and lime juice into slow cooker.
- Add meat to cooker and sprinkle any leftover rub on top of the beef.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 6 to 6-1/2 hours. Transfer meat to a cutting board.
- Use two forks to pull meat into a coarse shred.
- Return meat to cooker; keep warm. To serve, use a slotted spoon to spoon mixture onto roll bottoms.
- Add Picadillo Relish and jack cheese.