This Family Style Macaroni and Cheese is creamy cheese on the inside and crunchy on the top! Perfect as a main dish or a side dish but most importantly… A KID FRIENDLY DINNER!
Don’t buy those cheap boxed macaroni and cheese. Make your own! This recipe can be customized to your families cheese preferences. I’m not a fan of strong cheeses so I chose mild cheese to make my macaroni and cheese. Add another layer of cheesy flavor by adding Parmesan to the top layer of bread crumbs. Your family will love the topping but the star of this recipe is the creamy cheesy inside.
Family Style Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 quart milk
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces Gruyere, grated (4 cups)
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar, grated (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups bread crumbs (I used Panko)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according the the directions on the package; Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, DON'T BOIL.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4 quart) pot and add the flour.
- Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk.
- While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Remove from the heat, add the cheeses, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the cooked macaroni and stir will. Pour into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine with the bread crumbs and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.
MORE PASTA DISHES