Full of flavor, large in size but low on calories. That best describes these Light Apple Cinnamon Muffins. At only 189 calories you can have a muffin and lose weight too! This recipe is from the wonderful LooneySpoons Collection Cookbook. Here is my review on the cookbook along with links to other recipes I have made from this cookbook.
Light Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 1-1/2 cups quick cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Optional: 1 tablespoon chia seeds and 1 tablespoon whole flax seeds.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped (2 medium)
- cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pour boiling water over oats in a medium bowl.
- Stir and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Combine both flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, chia seeds, flax seeds, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, applesauce, egg, butter and vanilla.
- Add applesauce mixture to oats and stir until smooth.
- Add oat mixture to flour mixture and stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fold in chopped apples.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle each muffin lightly with cinnamon sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in center of muffin come out clean.
- Remove from pan and let cool.