Grilling season is here and what better way to celebrate the beautiful weather than to grill this delicious Philly Cheese Burger! My family are huge fans of Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches so I decided to create their favorite sandwich into a burger.
What do you get when you take a nice thick juicy burger and add grilled onions, peppers and a beer cheese sauce? A PHENOMENAL PHILLY CHEESE BURGER that’s what! to complete the meal spoon a healthy (big) serving of Mad Hatter Salad and Potato Casserole. Don’t forget about dessert! How about Pecan Pie Bars ?
Philly Cheese Burger
For the Burger
- 1 pound ground beef , divided into four patties.
- salt and pepper to taste
- big hamburger buns
- onion, sliced and grilled
- bell pepper, sliced and grilled
- chives, chopped
For the Beer Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheese, grated
- optional: 1 tablespoon horseradish
For the Burger:
- Salt and pepper patties to taste.
- Grill the onion and bell pepper. Set aside.
- Grill the burgers.
- While the burgers are grilling make the beer cheese sauce.
- Drizzle sauce over built burgers and sprinkle with chopped chives.
For the Beer Sauce:
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and mustard powder; cook, stirring 2 to 3 minutes (do not brown).
- Whisk in beer; bring to a simmer, then whisk in half and half.
- Simmer, whisking, until thickened, 4 minutes.
- Stir in grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- Optional: Add horseradish.
MORE BURGER RECIPES