Serve this Plum Kuchen for Breakfast or Dessert! Any plum will do for this recipe. In fact, you can mix them for a contrast of flavor and color. I would recommend you peel the plums if you don’t like tart desserts. But if you do then a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream will help balance the flavors. I love the look of this cake. It makes such a pretty presentation and was VERY easy to make.
This Plum Kuchen has a wonderful spicy batter for the crust, add slices of plum in a spiral design for a pretty presentation with a sprinkling of a lemon sugar mixture on top.
Create your own Recipe Box and save your favorite Lady Behind The Curtain recipes. Make a Meal Plan with your favorite recipes and ZipList will automatically add the ingredients to a Shopping List.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds plums, quartered and pitted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cardamom.
- Whisk together.
- Cut in 4 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine milk, vanilla, and egg in a bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter into a 9-inch round metal cake pan coated with cooking spray ( I used a spring form pan).
- Arrange plums in a circular pattern over batter.
- Combine remaining 2/3 cup sugar, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, lemon rind, and allspice in a small bowl, stirring well.
- Microwave remaining 3 tablespoons butter until the butter melts.
- Stir into sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle plums evenly with sugar mixture.
- Bake 35 minutes or until browned and bubbling.
- Cool in pan 1 hour.
- Cut into wedges.