Yes, you read that right Watermelon Marinade! With the sweet taste of watermelon and the sour taste of the vinegar this recipe offers a perfect balance of flavors. It can be used as a marinade and also for basting while cooking.
With the bright flavor of summer this Watermelon Marinade is the best and not your typical tomato based sauce.
Watermelon Marinade Sauce
- 3 bone in chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup watermelon juice
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Puree watermelon and strain to get the watermelon juice.
- Stir watermelon juice, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, and pepper flakes together. (I put mine in a jar so i could shake it really good)
- Put chicken in a zip top bag and pour marinade over (make sure to reserve some for basting during the cooking process).
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Baste with additional sauce while grilling.