It’s summertime and that means WATERMELON! These Watermelon Poke Cupcakes are fun and full of watermelon flavor. Were you asked to bring the watermelon to the family barbecue? Surprise everyone by bringing these cupcakes. They scream summer! Side Note: Also bring a watermelon. 😆
There are lots of options with these little cuties. You can make them in mini form and leave them as cupcakes, make them regular size or do like I did and put them in fun push up pop containers. You can also make some of the watermelon candy toppers or just add green sprinkles.
HERE is the template for the watermelon cupcake toppers.
Tape the template to a cookie sheet then tape wax paper over it.
Melt green candy melts and pour into a squirt bottle. Make the out line of the rind.
Melt white candy melts with 1 green candy melt, pour into a squirt bottle and make the next line for the lighter edge of the rind. (as you can tell perfection is NOT required)
Melt the red candy melts pour into a squirt bottle and fill in the watermelon.
Melt a small amount of black candy melts, pour into a squirt bottle and make the seeds.
Watermelon Poke Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1 white cake mix (ingredients needed to make cake as directed on box)
- gel food coloring - rose
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 watermelon jello
For the Butter Cream Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- gel food coloring – green
- green sprinkles
For the Watermelon Toppers
- template (below)
- red, green white and black candy melts
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cake as directed on box.
- Add enough food coloring to get a watermelon color and mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Line mini muffin cups with 5 dozen cupcake liners.
- Fill 3/4 full; bake for 10 to 12 minutes or when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place cupcakes on a cooling rack with wax paper underneath.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, add 1 cup boiling water to jello and stir until dissolved then add 1/2 cup cold water and stir until combined.
- Using a skewer poke holes into the cupcakes, drizzle about 1 teaspoon of jello mixture over each cupcake.
- Place in refrigerator for several hours until jello is set.
- When cupcakes are ready, remove wrapper and place one cupcake into the push up pop container; add a swirl of frosting (learn how below) and a few green sprinkles.
- Place another cupcake on top and frosting; on some of the cupcakes add watermelon topper and on some add sprinkles.
For the Cutter Cream Frosting:
- Beat butter until smooth; gradually add 2 cups of the confectioners’ sugar, beating well.
- Slowly beat in the 1/3 cup milk and vanilla.
- Beat in remaining confectioners’ sugar.
- Add additional milk until frosting reaches spread or piping consistency.
- Divide frosting in half.
- Add green food coloring to both.
- One with a touch of green so that it has just a hint of color and the other with enough to make the color of a watermelon rind.
Two tone colored frosting: To one side of your piping bag load the light green frosting and on the other side add the dark green so that the two greens are side by side inside the piping bag.
For the Watermelon Topper:
- Tape the template (print out above) to a cookie sheet then tape wax paper over it.
- Melt green candy melts and pour into a squirt bottle; make the out line of the rind.
- Melt white candy melts with 1 green candy melt, pour into a squirt bottle and make the next line for the lighter edge of the rind (as you can tell perfection is NOT required).
- Melt the red candy melts pour into a squirt bottle and fill in the watermelon.
- Melt a small amount of black candy melts, pour into a squirt bottle and make the seeds.
MORE SUMMER CUPCAKES