When I was young getting to order a banana split at the diner was a special treat. Now a days I wouldn’t dream of eating all those calories at one sitting. Oh the days of youth.
So I created these Banana Split Cupcakes that take me back to those sweet days. First, I started with a banana cupcake, added fluffy chocolate frosting, strawberry frosting, pineapple frosting, and topped the cupcakes with whip cream, sprinkles of chopped peanuts and a cherry. Now I can have a banana split!
For the cupcakes:
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- garnish: whip cream, cherries, chopped peanuts
For the Frosting Base:
- 2 - 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin pan with paper baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, mashed bananas and vanilla; mix well.
- Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Fill baking cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in pan on cooling rack 5 minutes.
- Remove to cool completely.
- Pipe on one mound of each frosting (chocolate, strawberry and pineapple-recipe below).
- Top with whip cream, chopped peanuts and a cherry.
For the Cupcake Base:
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the vanilla. Blend in the confectioners' sugar 1 cup at a time until fluffy. Separate frosting into 2 - 1 cup bowls and 1 - 2 cup bowl.
- Chocolate Frosting Ingredients and Directions To the 2 cups of reserved cream cheese frosting add 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa and 3 cups confectioners' sugar. Cream until well combined. Add 2 tablespoons of milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the right consistency has been reached.
- Strawberry Frosting Ingredients and Directions Pour 1 cup of chopped fresh strawberries and 1 tablespoon of strawberry jelly into a blender. Blend until liquid. Pour into a mixing bowl with the reserved 1 cup of cream cheese frosting. Mix until combined. Add 5 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar 1 cup at a time. Until the right consistency has been reached.
- Pineapple Frosting Ingredients and Directions Pour 1 cup of chopped fresh pineapple into a blender. Blend until liquid. Pour into a mixing bowl with the reserved 1 cup of cream cheese frosting. Mix until combined. Add 5 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar 1 cup at a time. Until the right consistency has been reached.
***You will have extra frosting. Store in the refrigerator for later use.***
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain