This versatile cranberry pear sauce is not just to serve with your turkey. Although it is delicious that way I would also recommend using it as an appetizer. Serve on a cracker with a smear of cream cheese or in a cheese ball or add to your vinaigrette for a delicious salad dressing.
Because this recipe makes a lot of sauce I measured it out in cups and froze the leftovers.
HERE is my recipe for a Cheese Ball I created using this Cranberry Pear Sauce.
- 6 cups peeled and chopped firm, ripe pears,
- 16 ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- In a 5 to 6 quart dutch oven combine the pears and cranberries.
- Stir in sugar, the water, lemon juice, orange peel, cinnamon and allspice.
- Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Gently boil uncovered for 20 to 245 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring frequently.
- Cool before serving.
This recipe was adapted from the BHG Holiday 2012 magazine.
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain