These Funfetti Almond Cherry Donut Cupcakes are just as cute as can be.
As if funfetti wasn’t fun enough, I also adding a cute mini cherry flavored donut on top! I KNOW! I am so lovin’ these cupcakes! Filled to the brim with sprinkles with the added bonus of almond and cherry. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! CONGRATULATIONS! WELCOME HOME! These cupcakes are suited for any occasion.
Funfetti Almond Cherry Donut Cupcakes
For the Almond Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon vanilla paste or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sprinkles
For the Butter Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
For the Cherry Mini Donut
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cherry extract plus enough milk to measure 1/2 cup with extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sprinkles
For the Vanilla Glaze
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons milk
For the Almond Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter until creamy; add sugar and mix until fluffy.
- Add extracts and eggs to the butter mixture, combine.
- In a small bowl stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternately add flour mixture and whipping cream to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined (batter will be thick).
- Fill muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Moisten finger tips and smooth out batter.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in muffin cups 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
For the Butter Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter until smooth.
- Gradually add 2 cups confectioners' sugar, beating well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of milk.
- Add remaining sugar.
- If needed add 1 more tablespoon of milk.
For the Mini Donuts:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a mini donut pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a 1 cup measuring cup add cherry extract, add enough milk to bring the measurement to 1/2 cup.
- Add egg to milk mixture.
- Pour into flour mixture.
- Stir until just moistened.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of batter to each donut well, about 1/3 full.
- Moisten finger tips with water and spread batter evenly.
- Bake 4 to 6 minutes or until the top of the donuts spring back when touched.
For the Glaze:
- In a small bowl mix together the confectioners' sugar and water.
- Glaze should be thin for drizzling.
- Frost cupcake, add glaze and sprinkles to donuts, place finished donut on top of finished cupcakes.
MORE CELEBRATION TREATS