Gouda Mashed Potatoes. The perfect blend of cheese, potatoes, sun dried tomatoes and green onion. Strangely tastes like Thanksgiving dressing! Maybe from the herbs that are added to the oil in the sun dried tomatoes. Simply the BEST mashed potatoes EVER! If you have guests that aren’t fans of gravy—this Thanksgiving make Gouda Mashed Potatoes….NO GRAVY NEEDED! Get a jump on your Thanksgiving prep by making your mashed potatoes now, freezing them and then reheating on the big day. Scroll down to see how!
Tips for making the perfect bowl of mashed potatoes
- Choose the right potato for the job.
- Salt the water. As the potatoes cook they will absorb the salt. If you salt at the beginning you won’t have to add as much salt at the end.
- Starting with cold water. If you start with hot water the potatoes will cook unevenly.
- Drain the potatoes well. Not draining your potatoes could result in mushy, watery potatoes.
- Pour potatoes back into the hot pot, add butter, place lid on the pot, wait 5 minutes and beat until creamy.
- Keep potatoes in the original (hot) pot until ready to serve and then transfer potatoes to your serving bowl.
How to Freeze and Reheat Mashed Potatoes
- Make the mashed potatoes as instructed (JUST PLAIN NO MIX INS).
- Cool completely
- Scoop into a large container with a tight fitting lid
- Freeze until Thanksgiving (well….a few days before to allow for defrosting)
- Take the potatoes out of the freezer two days before your dinner and place in the refrigerator to thaw
- Stovetop: Spoon thawed mashed potatoes in a large pot on low to medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Oven: Spoon mashed potatoes into a heat proof dish that has a lid. Place in a cold oven. Heat oven to 350°. Depending on the amount of potatoes and the shape of the dish (shallow or deep). The reheating time will vary. Allow 30 minutes to 1 hour. TIP: Stir after 30 minutes.
- Slow Cooker: Spoon thawed mashed potatoes into a slow cooker. Heat on low 2 to 4 hours. BEST METHOD..IT FREES UP THE STOVE AND OVEN!
- Microwave: Spoon mashed potatoes into a microwave safe container. Heat a total of 6 minutes at regular powder. Heat in increments of 2 minutes, stirring between each time.
- FINAL THOUGHTS: Once reheated, if the potatoes seem to be on the watery side, stir in some sour cream or cream cheese to give them a thicker creamier texture. If the potatoes are thick and chunky, add a couple of splashes of milk. Taste the potatoes and add more butter, salt and pepper is necessary.
- Base Mashed Potato Recipe (link below)
For the Mix Ins:
- ½ cup Gouda cheese, shredded
- ½ cup oil packed dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- ½ cup green onion thinly sliced
Click here for the mashed potato recipe---->>>>THE BEST HOLIDAY MASHED POTATOES
Prepare the best holiday mashed potatoes as directed. Just before serving, add the cheese, tomatoes and green onion. Stir to combine. Serve hot.
MAIN COURSE RECIPES
NEVER MISS A POST
Great desserts for your holiday dessert table. MAPLE CUPCAKES WITH PUMPKIN PIE FROSTING and PUMPKIN CUPCAKES WITH CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING