The term “Purse” is usually associated with Oriental Cuisine. A dumpling made into a pocket to hold its filling. That’s what this Italian purse appetizer recipe is only an Italian version. This purse has so much flavor no dipping sauce is necessary. The PERFECT appetizer! Especially for an Italian dinner.
For detailed pictures watch the slide show below.
Italian Purse Appetizer
This appetizer has so much flavor no dipping sauce is necessary.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
- 9 teaspoons store bought pesto
- 9 tablespoons roasted red pepper, chopped
- 9 tablespoons cheese, shredded ( I used Havarti)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Prep all your ingredients before cutting your dough.
- Once the red pepper is chopped place on paper towels to drain, pat dry.
- Shred the cheese and set aside.
- Make egg wash using the egg and 1 tablespoon of cold water mix with fork and set aside.
- Thaw puff pastry according to the box. The pastry is folded in thirds use that as your guideline to cut 3 long strips.
- Cut into 9 equal squares.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough to a 4x4 piece.
- Place pesto and spread around the square.
- Add chopped roasted red pepper and cheese.
- Brush the egg wash on the edges.
- Pull all four corners together and twist dough, then pinch the sides together.
- Brush the outside with more egg wash, place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
This is a LBC original!