Sonoran Hot Dog | It’s Summer and that means hot dogs! There are many variations of hot dogs but….. my favorite by far is the Sornoran Hot Dog. Which happens to be named after the desert and since the hot dog was created in Tucson and……I live in Tucson. I thought serving this hot dog was the perfect way to celebrate summer!
There are many toppings you can put on this hot dog: raw onions, grilled onions, avocado, cabbage, radishes, chilies, ketchup and mayonnaise just to name a few. For the best bread you’ll want to use Mexican Bolillos Buns. I found mine in the bakery section of my grocery store. They are crusty oval rolls. If you can’t find them a hot dog bun works too!
When you order a Sonoran hot dog from a food truck here in Tucson you will probably receive a smoked chili on the side. As you can tell this hot dog has original toppings. This makes for a VERY tasty dog!
- beef hot dogs
- pinto beans
- salsa verde
- hot dog bun I used Mexican Bolillos Rolls
- condiments (mustard, sour cream, tomatoes)
- Wrap hot dogs with bacon and cook on a hot griddle or grill.
- Make your layers: pinto beans, hot dog, salsa verde, condiments.
- NOTE: I added a little milk to the sour cream and put it into a squeeze bottle.
MORE SUMMER RECIPES