State Fair Chocolate Strawberry Waffle Pops
to 25 medium to large strawberries, tops removed
ounces dark cocoa candy melts
Optional: shortening (about 1 tablespoon)
quarts vegetable oil, for deep frying
cups dry waffle mix
confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Pull tops off the strawberries
- Thread each strawberry onto a wooden skewer; place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Put the chocolate in a deep microwave safe bowl.
- Melt in 1 minute intervals, stirring after each.
NOTE: It took (2) 1 minute intervals for my chocolate chips to melt, if chocolate appears to be too thick, add the shortening; stir until melted.
- Dip the strawberries in the melted chocolate, making sure to completely submerge the strawberry up to and around the entry area of the skewer.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and freeze until the chocolate hardens (about 15 minutes).
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep pot until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360°.
- While the oil heats, add waffle mix, milk and eggs to a medium bowl; whisk all ingredients together until no lumps appear.
- Dip the chocolate covered strawberries in the batter, turning to coat and completely submerging the strawberry so that the batter encases the chocolate.
TIP: What worked best for me was taking only one chocolate covered strawberry out of the freezer at a time, dipping it into the batter and the hot oil to fry.
- Fry, turning as needed, until batter is golden and just cooked through.
- Remove from hot oil and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.