This truly is The Best Chicken Stock! Full bodied with a rich depth of flavor. This stock will enhance any recipe that calls for chicken stock. I use this recipe to make my Chicken Noodle Soup.
I make at least two batches and store them in the freezer. Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or when that unexpected flu hits and all you want is SOUP! This Chicken Stock is stocked with it’s own chicken. I shred the chicken that was used to make the stock, that way all I have to do is add a few vegetables and noodles!
I put everything in the pot just like I got it from the grocery store. I DON’T PEEL ANYTHING! 🙂
- 1 whole chicken (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 carrots, cut in large chunks
- 3 celery stalks, cut in large chunks
- 2 large white onions, cut in half
- 1 head garlic
- 1 turnip, halved
- 1/4 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Place the chicken and vegetables in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Pour in only enough cold water to cover.
- Toss in the thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns, and allow it to slowly come to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium low and gently simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, partially covered, until the chicken is done.
- As it cooks, skim any impurities that rise to the surface; add a little more water if necessary to keep the chicken covered while simmering.
- Carefully remove the chicken to a cutting board. When its cool enough to handle, discard the skin and bones; shred the meat.
Optional: You can either store the chicken in a separate container to use in another recipe or place the shredded chicken in with the stock.
- Carefully strain the stock through a fine sieve into another pot to remove the vegetable solids. !TIP: If you want a thicker soup, take some of the vegetables from the stock, peel, puree them and add back to the stock.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to one week or freeze.
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain
FOR SOME DELICIOUS SOUP RECIPES VISIT MY SOUP CATEGORY.