Butter Cookie Pineapple Upside Down Cake: The way this cake is made you end up with a wonderful crispy butter cookie on top! I love the ease of this recipe and serving them in mason jars makes it easy to pack them up for a summer picnic or give as a gift.
When the jars are ready to bake they will be filled to the top but once everything bakes it will shrink just enough so you can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream of a dollop of whipped cream. You can make this Pineapple Upside Down Cake with fresh pineapple of canned. If you use a fresh ripe pineapple like I did the cake will be a little bit sweeter than using canned. Which is perfectly fine with me. 😉
- 2 1/2 cups pineapple chunks
- 16 maraschino cherries, cut in half
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Equally divide fruit into 4 half pint mason jars; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir to combine the flour, sugar and salt.
- Pour 1/4 cup of flour mixture over fruit in each jar.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter on top of each jar.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until the top is golden and the fruit is bubbling.
- Cool completely and screw on lid.
MORE DESSERTS IN A JAR