Layers of potatoes, apples and cheese makes this casserole unique. The apples add a hint of sweetness with just a touch of an apple flavor. The perfect side dish for a holiday meal full of savory dishes.
- 8 medium Yukon Gold or other yellow-flesh potatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 cups shredded or finely chopped Granny Smith apples (2 or 3 apples)
- 2/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream or heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- green onion slivers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Layer half of the potatoes, half of the apples, half of the sliced green onions and half of the bacon in the prepared dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the salt and half of the pepper.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- In a medium bowl combine the cream and the garlic.
- Pour over layers.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with onion slivers.
This recipe was adapted from the BHG Holiday 2011 magazine
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain