The perfect side dish for a savory meal. These sweet baked beans are wonderfully sweet and smoky with a hint of heat (depending on the heat level you choose).
This is a better version of the canned pork ‘n beans.
- 5 bacon strips, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, fine chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded, deveined and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 - 15 ounce cannellini beans or white kidney
- 1 - 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a medium saucepan sauté the bacon, onions and jalapeno.
- Add garlic and sauté a few minutes longer.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of grease.
- Add beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup, molasses, vinegar, mustard and cloves.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
TO ADD A LITTLE MORE KICK, Substitute the fresh jalapeno for 1/8 cup canned.
This recipe was adapted from the Taste of Home April/May 2013 magazine