I’m trying to eat healthier these days. Boo! That’s REALLY hard when I’m either looking at food or making food all the time EVERYDAY! This Steel Cut Vanilla Berry Oatmeal is the perfect addition to my healthy breakfast. It not only tastes DELICIOUS, it also keeps me satisfied for a long time.
Here are a few facts about steel cut oats. Steel cut oats differ from old-fashioned, rolled oats in only one way: Steel cut oats are not rolled flat into flakes. Instead, the whole toasted oat grain, or groat, that is used to produce rolled oats is cut into thirds to yield steel cut oats. It has been reported that regularly eating steel cut oats gives you the same health benefits as rolled oats. So, why steel cut and not rolled? Unlike rolled oats, steel cut oats offer a nice texture and do not get pasty.
Instead of plain oatmeal, I decided to add dried cranberries, blueberries and vanilla. Plus, to bring the nutritional value up a notch I also added flaxseed and chia seeds.
- 4 cups water or milk
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Splenda
- 2 teaspoons flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring water or milk to a boil, add steel cut oats, salt, cranberries, blueberries, cinnamon, Splenda, flaxseed and chia seeds.
- Stir to combine.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer 30 minutes or until the oatmeal is thick and creamy.
- To prevent sticking, occasionally stir.
- Stir in Vanilla.
- Divide into 4 containers and store in the refrigerator.
TIP: Once the oats have cooled you may need to add a small amount of water or milk to loosen them up again. Heat on the stove top or microwave.
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain