This Vanilla Caramel Swirl Ice Cream can stand on it’s own. Take it up a notch and make a banana split!
When researching this recipe I found that most recipes wanted me to make the caramel from scratch. I have a confession to make I can not make caramel (the old fashioned way)! That got me to thinking what I could use in place of homemade caramel and that was (caramel) Dulce de Leche. I could eat this stuff right out of the can!
So I took my favorite vanilla ice cream recipe and added TWO cans of Dulce de Leche. And oh no…..that wasn’t enough I decided to add bananas, whip cream, chopped nuts and a cherry for FABULOUS Vanilla Caramel Swirl Banana Splits!
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 2 (13.4 ounce) (caramel) Dulce de Leche, divided
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer and on low speed combine the milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into the freezer bowl, add one can of (caramel) Dulce de Leche ONE TABLESPOON at a time.
- Let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile spoon the remaining can of (caramel) Dulce de Leche into a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave 30 seconds or until runny.
- Transfer one third of the finished ice cream to an airtight container, pour a third of the melted caramel over the ice cream and swirl.
- Continue layering until all the ice cream has been transfer and the caramel.
- Store in freezer 2 hours.
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain