This Barbecue Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich is a grown up version of a childhood favorite grilled cheese! With layers of shredded chicken and coleslaw mixed with barbecue sauce and topped with creamy cheese.
I had a very busy day and got home too late to fix dinner. Sometimes some of my favorite meals are those created by going through the refrigerator and pantry. That’s how and why this Barbecue Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich was created. Perfect for a busy weeknight dinner or for hungry game watchers.
This sandwich is like a pulled pork barbecue sandwich. I love adding sweet coleslaw to my pulled pork sandwich so it makes sense that I would add it to this Barbecue Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Mix together the chicken, barbecue sauce and coleslaw mix.
Butter one side of each piece of bread (I used sour dough). Place on a grill pan, add chicken mixture.
The shredded cheese.
Place the other slice of bread on top, to keep the pan clean, cover with a piece of parchment paper.
Place a heavy iron skilled on top to press the grilled cheese.
This process makes beautiful grill marks but of course you can make your grilled cheese using a regular skillet.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup packaged coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Mix together the chicken, coleslaw mix and barbecue sauce.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Lay one slice (buttered side down) on a cast iron grill pan.
- Add a pile of the chicken mixture and a quarter of the cheese.
- Top with another slice of bread (butter side up).
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on top of the sandwich.
- To press sandwich together, place a heavy cast iron skillet on top.
- Cook 3 to 5 minutes per side.
NOTE: You can also use a panini press.
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain