Everything about these Christmas Scones says it’s the holiday season. I love serving these on Christmas morning. You can make them up to 2 weeks ahead. They freeze beautifully. I’ve even taken them to California to my Mom’s for Christmas. All I did was combine all the dry ingredients in one zip top bag and the dried fruit and nuts in another. Then all I needed when I got there was the butter, eggs and whipping cream.
SCORE BIG POINTS! Show up to the office with a basket full of these tender spicy scones and your coworkers will love you forever!
To bring out the holiday flavors I added my special spice blend of nutmeg, cinnamon , ginger and cloves. This mix can be used for most of your holiday baking. Click here for the spice blend recipe—->>>>THE ULTIMATE BAKING SPICE MIX. For another special touch I used LorAnn Cranberry Flavoring. This is an optional step.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut up
- 2 eggs, divided
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon large crystallized sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon , nutmeg, allspice and cloves.
- Stir in dried fruit and nuts.
- Cut in butter until butter is the size of a blueberry.
- In a small bowl whisk together 1 of the eggs and cream until blended.
- Pour into flour mixture.
- With hands press together to form dough into a ball.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet; pat into a 8-inch round 1-in. thick disk.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Separate slightly.
- Whisk together remaining 1 egg and water.
- Lightly brush over top of scones.
- Sprinkle with crystallized sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
NOTE: If you want to make the scones into a mini size make 2 disks, cut into 8 wedges and bake 17 minutes. Makes 16
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtin
MORE FABULOUS SCONE RECIPES
Sign up for my newsletter and receive my recipes in your inbox. Easy to see anytime and saved for safe keeping. Click Here and sign up today! —->>>>CURTAIN CALL NEWSLETTER