Classic Chocolate Whoopie Pies: The ultimate chocolate dessert, incredibly soft and filled with a delicious marshmallow whoopie pie filling. The perfect balance between a cake and a cookie.
What is a Whoopie Pie?
A whoopie is a classic dessert that consists of two soft chocolate cake like cookies sandwiched with fluffy marshmallow filling. Based on Pennsylvania history, Amish women invented the whoopie pie. Holding up with their custom of avoiding wasting ingredients, the women would drop excess cake batter into mounds and bake them. Then they would take two of the mounds and sandwich them together with a creamy frosting. The name originated from the Amish men who, when they found these treats in their lunch boxes, would exclaim, “Whoopie!” —According to Farmers Almanac—
How to Freeze Whoopie Pies
These delicious soft chocolate sandwich cookies freeze beautifully. WHAT WORKS BEST: Wrap each whoopie pie in plastic wrap, place in a freezer safe container with a tight fitting lid. Stays fresh in the freezer up to 4 months. Serve frozen or defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
How to Make Classic Chocolate Whoopie Pies—Ingredients
- INGREDIENTS Whoopie Pies (full printable recipe below)
- all purpose flour
- unsweetened coco powder
- baking soda
- light brown sugar
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- hot water
- INGREDIENTS Marshmallow Filling
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
- marshmallow fluff/cream
Tips and Tricks for the BEST Whoopie Pies
- NO BUTTERMILK? If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand you can easily make your own by mixing together a cup of milk with a teaspoon of vinegar.
- FILLING TOO SWEET? If you don’t want your filling to be too sweet, add a bit of softened cream cheese.
- DON’T EAT WHEN HOT: While it might be tempting to eat the whoopie pies slightly cooled.. wait until they have cooled completely. They taste so much better when cooled. Preferably chilled overnight in the refrigerator. They’re even good fresh out of the freezer.
- USING AN ICE CREAM SCOOP: You can use a spoon to scoop the batter. Using an ice cream scoop keeps your cookies uniform sized.
- COCOA POWDER: Stick with cocoa powder and don’t use chocolate when making the cookies. Real chocolate makes the cookies too moist and fudgy.
Make Whoopie Pies From a Cake Mix
If you’ve never made cookies using a cake mix you are in for a treat! Using a cake mix creates a soft delicious cookie and is super easy to do. CLICK HERE→ 10 LUNCH BOX CAKE MIX COOKIE RECIPES
Change Up the Flavors!
Use this basic traditional chocolate whoopie pie recipe to create multiple flavors for your dessert table!
- MEXICAN CHOCOLATE WHOOPIE PIES: Add cinnamon to the chocolate cake batter
- ALMOND JOY WHOOPIE PIES: Add chopped almonds to the chocolate cake batter and shredded coconut to the filling.
- SNICKERS WHOOPIE PIES: Add chopped peanuts to the chocolate cake batter, smear on a layer of Dulce de Leche and then add the filling.
- LATTÉ WHOOPIE PIES: Add little espresso powder to the chocolate cake batter (this will enhance the chocolate flavor not add much coffee flavor) and add more to the filling.
SIGN UP FOR THE LADY BEHIND THE CURTAIN NEWSLETTER AND FOLLOW THE LADY BEHIND THE PARTY ETSY SHOP
THANKS FOR VISITING♥