Homemade Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. Forget about buying store bought tomato soup. With just a few easy steps, using ingredients already in your pantry you can make your own homemade tomato soup!
HOW TO MAKE THIS SOUP
- BACON, ONION AND GARLIC: Cut bacon into bite size pieces, fry until crispy. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is translucent.
- RED PEPPERS, TOMATOES, TOMATO PASTE, BROTH, BASIL, SALT AND PEPPER: Add the remaining ingredients to a large pot, bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer 30 minutes. Use a immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.
- HEAVY CREAM: Whisk into the hot blended soup.
WHAT IS THE BEST TOOL FOR CREAMY SOUPS
- IMMERSION BLENDER: This is the easiest of the three. The immersion blender allows you to blend the soup directly in the soup pot and will lend to more of a soup like texture.
- BLENDER: Unlike the immersion blender the soup will need to be transferred to the blender. The blender will give you a smoother soup. So if that’s what you want as the end result then the blender is the best tool for you.
- FOOD PROCESSOR: You can use a food processor for soups but because of the high liquid content it’s not recommended. You’d have to blend in multiple batches and the liquid could escape through the lid or seep out the sides. The food processor works best with chunky textured dishes.
WHAT TOMATOES SHOULD I USE
- THIS SOUP IS EXCELLENT WITH CANNED TOMATOES. You can used whole peeled tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, roasted tomatoes or diced tomatoes.
- YOU CAN ALSO USE FRESH TOMATOES. Here is a good guideline for substituting canned tomatoes for fresh.
- One 28 ounce can of tomatoes equals about 10 to 12 whole tomatoes, peeled (or about 2 pounds)
- One 14½ once can of tomatoes equals 5 to 6 whole tomatoes, peeled (or about 1 pound)
MORE HEARTY SOUP RECIPES
- SEMI HOMEMADE PANTRY TORTILLA SOUP
- HEARTY POTPATO CORN CHOWDER
- PAPPA AL POMODORO TUSCAN SOUP
- GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE SOUP
- CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP
- 3 bacon strips, cut into pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (.66 ounce) package fresh basil, torn
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In large pot fry bacon until crispy.
- To the same pot with the bacon add the onion and garlic.
- Sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add red pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, basil, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Take the soup off the heat, using a immersion blender (or stand alone blender) blend soup until smooth.
- Whisk in cream and serve hot.