All American Apple Pie | Americas favorite pie piled high with juicy Granny Smith apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Pack this delicious pie up and take to grandmas house, a pot luck, backyard barbecue or social event.
There’s nothing more comforting then smelling an apple pie baking. Fill your how with the warm scent of Fall. This All American Apple Pie is topped with a light flaky crust and sprinkled with a sugar and cinnamon sugar mixture to add a layer of crunch.
Pile on the coated apple slices.
Add a top piece of dough.
Add a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon.
Protect the crimped crust with foil.
Down to that last piece of apple pie? Create a delicious shake! Click here to find out how—->>>>APPLE PIE SHAKES
For the Crust:
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup water
For the Pie Filling:
- 10 cups (about 7) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Topping:
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
For the Pie Crust:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To a large mixing bowl add the flour, salt and shortening.
- Cut the shortening into the flour until the mixture has a crumb texture.
- Add the water and stir until combined with the flour mixture.
- Divide the dough with one portion slightly larger than the other.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the larger portion into a round piece to fit the pie plate and slightly hang over the side.
- Place pie dough into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Add apple mixture.
- Roll the section portion large enough to hang over the top of the apples and pie plate.
- Cut any extra off, fold the top dough over the bottom dough and tuck under.
- Crimp with fingers.
- Apply butter with pastry brush, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Cut air vents.
- If desired cover the outside crust with foil and bake 25 minutes.
- Take off the foil and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until the pie crust is golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
For the Pie Filling,
- In a large bowl combine the apples, sugars, flour and cinnamon.
- Pour into prepared pie shell.
If your apples are EXTRA juicy when you first cut the pie you may have a lot of juice build up. If desired, tilt the pie over the sink and pour out extra juice.
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain
MORE PIE RECIPES
Sign up for my newsletter and receive my recipes in your inbox. Easy to see anytime and saved for safe keeping. Click Here and sign up today! —->>>>CURTAIN CALL NEWSLETTER