Cherry Limeade Petit Fours: Mother’s Day never looked so good with these flavorful tiny cakes perfectly dipped in Key Lime Pie Candy Melts.
Add a delicate touch to your dessert table with these bite size cakes decorated to look like one of your favorite drinks; with a lime wedge, cherry and white sugar sprinkles to look like ice. These Cherry Limeade Petit Fours are a fun way to add conversation to the table. Because…..your guests will be talking about these (for sure!). I made them for a Mexican dinner and served cherry limeades too!
To make these petit fours requires no special tools. I molded them using a mini muffin pan. All you’ll need to do to create these fun petit fours is bake a cake, add frosting to the cake crumbs, form in mini muffin cups, once frozen dip in melted candy melts and decorate.
- 1 white cake mix (plus ingredients on the box to make a cake)
- 2 teaspoons cherry extract ( found a Walmart)
- 3/4 cup cherry flavored baking chips, chopped (found at Walmart)
Optional: 5 drops red food coloring
- 1 (16 ounce) can of vanilla frosting
- 1 1/2 (10 ounce) bags key lime pie candy melts
- lime green candy melts, cut into wedges
- red ball shaped sprinkles
- white sugar sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add ingredients to the cake mix as instructed on the box plus, the cherry extract, baking chips and red food coloring.
- Mix until combined and pour into 9x13-inch cake pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely.
- Pick up the cake with your hands, place it into a large bowl crumbling it as you go.
- Add about 3/4 of the frosting to the bowl with the cake crumbs.
- Mix until combined.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Press cake mixture into each muffin well.
- Place in freezer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the candy melts.
- Place candy melts in a medium microwavable safe bowl along with shortening.
TIP: Only add one tablespoon at a time of shortening until the right consistency is reached. The candy should drip in a even flow from a spoon.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper; take mini cakes out of molds and place on the paper.
- Line another cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Place a petit four on a fork, dip the bottom in melted candy, use a spoon to drizzle the melted candy all over the service of the cake.
- Tap off any excess, place on the prepared sheet and sprinkle with white sugar sprinkles.
NOTE: If it is too humid or hot, to speed up the hardening of the candy place in the refrigerator.
- Use the extra melted candy to place the lime wedge and cherry.
MORE BITE SIZE DESSERTS