German Chocolate Cupcakes | A deep chocolate cupcake filled with the delicious coconut frosting that we all love along with a creamy butter chocolate frosting. The perfect chocolate cupcake! You can choose to completely cover the filling or decorate around the edges (like I did here) with the chocolate butter frosting.
Starting with a good chocolate cupcake is a must for this recipe. So I started with my favorite Devil’s Food Cupcake Recipe.
Now for the surprise! Hollow out a portion of the cupcake and fill it with the most delicious melt in your mouth homemade coconut filling.
You can choose to completely cover the filling or decorate around the edges (like I did here) with the chocolate butter frosting.
MORE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE RECIPES
German Chocolate Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
For the Coconut Pecan Filling
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup butter, cut into small pieced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups pecans, chopped
For the Cocoa Butter Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Cupcakes:
- Follow and print directions for the Devil's Food Cupcake Recipe
- Fill hole with Coconut-Pecan Filling.
For the Coconut Pecan Filling:
- Heat egg yolks, evaporated milk, brown sugar and butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick, about 15 minutes from the time it start to boil.
- Stir vanilla and salt into frosting.
- Add the coconut and pecans.
- Stir until well combined.
- Let cool completely, stirring occasional.
NOTE: Frosting can be refrigerated up to 1 day in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature and stir. PLUS you will only need half of this recipe to fill the cupcakes. I froze the remaining filling for later.
For the Cocoa Butter Frosting:
- Beat butter until smooth.
- Gradually add 1 cup confectioners' sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder and melted unsweetened chocolate, beating well.
- Beat in milk and vanilla..
- Slowly beat in additional confectioners' sugar.
- Beat in additional milk until frosting reaches piping consistency.
- Either cover the filling with the frosting or pipe around the frosting.