Halloween Chocolate Sugar Cookie Sticks: Soft in the middle, crunchy on the outside, and full of butter flavor. Decorated the same size as a pretzel rod, these fun Halloween cookies will be perfect on a Halloween Party Dessert Table, or packaged up for a Fall bake sale. Neighborhood trick or treaters will love them too!
Serve a twist on the classic Halloween Decorated Pretzels! The Cookie Sticks are decorated just like pretzels only in cookie form.
How to Make Halloween Chocolate Sugar Cookie Sticks
INGREDIENTS FOR A CLASSIC SUGAR COOKIE DOUGH
These tender chocolate sugar cookies start with a classic sugar cookie dough recipe and the addition of black cocoa powder. The chocolate sugar cookies taste great on their own. Add drizzles of orange, purple, green, and black melted candy, plus the same color sprinkles and you have a delicious Halloween Party treat!
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- black cocoa
- baking powder
INSTRUCTIONS: HOW TO MAKE HALLOWEEN CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIE STICKS
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar, shortening and butter until fluffy.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla; mix well.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture; stir to combine.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- On a silt pad or piece of parchment paper, roll dough into a 11 x 7-inch rectangle, cut into (20) ½-inch strips.
- LEAVE RECTANGLE AND CUT STRIPS INTACT. Place the silt pad or parchment paper WITH THE DOUGH STRIPS still together onto a cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate 2 hours—take the silt pad or parchment paper with the cookie dough strips off the cookie sheet.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, carefully move each individual cookie strip to the lined cookie sheet.
- Place cookies in the freezer 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes; just until lightly brown.
- Slide parchment paper with the cookies onto the counter top to completely cool.
MELTED CANDY DRIZZLE
- ¾ cup orange melting candy + 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- ¾ cup purple melted candy + 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- ¾ cup lime green melted candy + 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- ¾ cup black melted candy + 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- orange, purple, green, and black sprinkle mixture
DIRECTIONS FOR THE MELTING CANDY
- Add each color and shortening to its own small microwave safe bowl.
- Heat 1 minute, stir until melted and creamy.
- Transfer each color to its own squeeze bottle of small zip to bag.
- In a back and forth motion add a candy drizzle starting with black, purple, orange, and green.
- While the candy is still wet, add the sprinkles.
- Lift cookies off parchment paper, transfer to a clean piece of parchment paper to harden.
How to Make Smaller Sugar Cookie Sticks
The chocolate cookie sticks are 7 inches tall/long and would be challenging for little hands. For smaller cookies, cut them in half BEFORE baking. This is also a great option if you are serving several treats. Smaller treats means your guests can sample them all. YES PLEASE!
Halloween Chocolate Sugar Cookie Sticks Colors
The colors used to decorate these chocolate cookies are a popular Halloween combination of colors. It’s easy to change up the color combination. The most important thing to keep in mind is matching the melted candy with the color of sprinkles. Also, using a multiple color combo always helps your treats to look nice.
My Secret To Not Adding Food Coloring
HOW TO GET BLACK COOKIE DOUGH WITHOUT FOOD COLORING. In short, the answer is black cocoa powder. WHAT IS BLACK COCOA POWDER? Black cocoa powder is an ultra Dutch processed cocoa, which is treated with an alkaline solution to reduce acidity. This gives it a smooth texture, dark color, and unsweetened-chocolate highlights. This is the black cocoa I ordered (not an affiliate link)→Anthony’s Organic Black Cocoa Powder
Can I Still Make These Chocolate Sugar Cookie Sticks If I Don’t Have Black Cocoa?
Yes, you can totally make these fun Halloween Cookies without black cocoa. Even though using black cocoa was super fun I understand if you don’t want to make the purchase. Instead, you can use Dutch cocoa like Ghirardelli and add a few drops of black gel food coloring to the cookie dough.
HOW TO STORE HALLOWEEN CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIE STICKS
Place decorated cookies in an airtight container. Store on the counter at room temperature. Will stay fresh up to 4 days.
HOW TO FREEZE CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES
BAKED COOKIES: Stack completely cooled (not decorated) cookies in a freezer safe airtight container.
CUT COOKIE DOUGH: On a piece of parchment paper, roll dough into a 11 x 7-inch rectangle, cut into (20) ½-inch strips. Leave rectangle and cut strips intact. Place parchment paper with the cut cookie dough on a cookie sheet. Place in the freezer until cookies are frozen. Place frozen cookie dough into a freezer safe large zip top bag. Store flat. Place in the refrigerator to thaw. Stays fresh up to 4 months.
UN-CUT COOKIE DOUGH: Make dough as instructed, form dough into a disk, place in a freezer safe zip top bag. Place in the refrigerator to thaw. Stays fresh up to 4 months.
ANOTHER HALLOWEEN COOKIE RECIPE YOU MIGHT LIKE
Witches Brew Halloween Butter Cookies: Fun Halloween cookies that literally melt in your mouth! These Witches Brew Halloween Butter Cookies may look hard to make but they’re not! Follow my easy step by step instructions and you can dazzle your guests with delicious butter cookies at your next Halloween Party! These swirl cookies are perfect for a witch themed party or Hocus Pocus!
SIGN UP FOR THE LADY BEHIND THE CURTAIN NEWSLETTER
THANKS FOR VISITING♥