Are you trying to watch what you eat (calories)? I speak from experience that it’s hard to eat my favorite Mexican food and stay within my calorie count. That’s why I created this Light Tomatillo Chicken Casserole.
I made this Light Tomatillo Chicken Casserole with fresh tomatillos. If you can’t find fresh ones you can also use canned. Do you know what a fresh tomatillo looks like?
Make this casserole the night before you’re planning on serving it. It should sit in the refrigerator for about 8 hours. This will allow the flavors to combine.
Blend up the tomatillo’s in a food processor.
There are 15 layers (counting the cheese on top) to this Light Tomatillo Chicken Casserole.
For detailed picture watch the slide show below.
- 1 pound tomatillos, outer husks removed, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fresh poblano or pasilla chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, halved
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 3/4 cups shredded reduced fat Mexican style cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- Cut prepared tomatillos in quarters and place in food processor.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and chile pepper and saute until tender and the vegetables start to brown.
- Add the onion mixture to the tomatillos and along with the cilantro, cumin and salt.
- Cover and blend until smooth.
- Spray a 2 quart baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Spread 3/4 cup of the tomatiillo mixture.
- Arrange 6 tortilla halves over sauce.
- Top with 1 cup of chicken, 1/2 cup cheese and half of the salsa.
- Add 6 more tortilla halves, remaining chicken, 1/2 cup cheese and half of the remaining tomatillo sauce.
- Top with 6 more tortilla haves, 1 cup remaining chicken and remaining tomatillo sauce.
- Top with the last of the tortilla halves and remaining salsa.
- Cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover with lid or foil.
- Bake 40 minutes, remove lid or foil and add remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- Bake about 20 minutes until cheese is melted..
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1/8th of the Casserole
Amount Per Serving Calories 0.253