I grew up eating this delicious Old Fashioned Country Bacon Gravy. I remember my grandma making it even for dinner with fried potatoes and boiled beans. COMFORT AT ITS FINEST! Mom will make biscuits and gravy for us (It’s my Dad’s favorite meal) when we come to visit. It’s a treat for my Dad because he doesn’t get it very often (not a very healthy meal). But COMPLETELY worth being “bad” once in a while. For me this recipe started with me enjoying it at my grandmas house. This is a recipe that my mom made, I make and now my daughter makes. I love those kinds of recipes. Four generations and going strong. For the perfect breakfast pour this delicious gravy over my Sour Cream Biscuits.
I don’t quite understand why restaurants only serve sausage gravy and not bacon gravy. I’m not a fan of sausage so bacon is my choice. This is the PERFECT breakfast treat for overnight guests. The gravy can be made the day before or even a couple of days before. You may need to add more milk because once the gravy gets cold it will solidify and thicken. Just heat up in a medium sauce pan and whisk in more milk if needed.
The key to a good gravy is the browning of the flour.
Old Fashioned Country Bacon Gravy
- 2 (12 ounce) packages of bacon, fried - RESERVE ALL THE DRIPPINGS
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 to 6 cups milk (depending on how thick you like your gravy)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pour reserved bacon drippings into a large skillet.
- On medium high heat the drippings.
- Sprinkle flour over hot drippings.
- Whisk until the flour is brown.
- Add milk about a half a cup at a time, whisking the whole time until 4 cups have been added.
TIP: If the gravy is too thick continue adding more milk ONLY 1/2 cup at a time until the right thickness is reached.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain
MORE COMFORT FOOD RECIPES
Sign up for my newsletter and receive my recipes in your inbox. Easy to see anytime and saved for safe keeping. Click Here and sign up today! —->>>>CURTAIN CALL NEWSLETTER