Slow Cooker – Sloppy Joes: Like the hot dog the Sloppy Joe is open to all kinds of variations and toppings. This slow cooker – sloppy joes recipe is not only tasty but will make dinner time easy.
These saucy sandwiches are perfect for game day, a busy week day or to make ahead and freeze. If you choose to freeze, I would freeze in portions (like single sandwich size). When I make these sandwiches it’s using for my husbands lunches. I freeze them in single serving containers. That way all he needs is a bun and he is ready to go. This filling also makes great wraps.
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onion (2 large)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-1/2 cups chopped red sweet peppers
- 2 cups chopped celery (4 stalks)
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 hamburger buns
- Cook ground beef, onions, and garlic until meat is brown and onion are tender.
- Break up the meat at it cooks. Drain off fat.
- In a 3-1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker combine meat mixture, sweet peppers, celery, beer ketchup, molasses, yellow mustard, chili powder, vinegar, and a dash of hot pepper sauce.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.