Bacon Rosemary Mashed Potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes with a little something extra like bacon, garlic and rosemary. The perfect alternative to mashed potatoes and gravy. These Bacon Rosemary Mashed Potatoes start with my Holiday Mashed Potatoes recipe. Make two batches—leave one plain (for those that love gravy) and add the mix-ins to the other. An easy way to add variety to your holiday table. Get a jump on your Thanksgiving prep by making your mashed potatoes now, freezing them and then reheating on the big day. Scroll down to see how!
Why I love Bacon Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
Tips for making the perfect bowl of mashed potatoes
- Choose the right potato for the job.
- Salt the water. As the potatoes cook they will absorb the salt. If you salt at the beginning you won’t have to add as much salt at the end.
- Starting with cold water. If you start with hot water the potatoes will cook unevenly.
- Drain the potatoes well. Not draining your potatoes could result in mushy, watery potatoes.
- Pour potatoes back into the hot pot, add butter, place lid on the pot, wait 5 minutes and beat until creamy.
- Keep potatoes in the original (hot) pot until ready to serve and then transfer potatoes to your serving bowl.
How to Freeze and Reheat Mashed Potatoes
- Make the mashed potatoes as instructed (JUST PLAIN NO MIX INS).
- Cool completely
- Scoop into a large container with a tight fitting lid
- Freeze until Thanksgiving (well….a few days before to allow for defrosting)
- Take the potatoes out of the freezer two days before your dinner and place in the refrigerator to thaw
- Stovetop: Spoon thawed mashed potatoes in a large pot on low to medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Oven: Spoon mashed potatoes into a heat proof dish that has a lid. Place in a cold oven. Heat oven to 350°. Depending on the amount of potatoes and the shape of the dish (shallow or deep). The reheating time will vary. Allow 30 minutes to 1 hour. TIP: Stir after 30 minutes.
- Slow Cooker: Spoon thawed mashed potatoes into a slow cooker. Heat on low 2 to 4 hours. BEST METHOD..IT FREES UP THE STOVE AND OVEN!
- Microwave: Spoon mashed potatoes into a microwave safe container. Heat a total of 6 minutes at regular powder. Heat in increments of 2 minutes, stirring between each time.
- FINAL THOUGHTS: Once reheated, if the potatoes seem to be on the watery side, stir in some sour cream or cream cheese to give them a thicker creamier texture. If the potatoes are thick and chunky, add a couple of splashes of milk. Taste the potatoes and add more butter, salt and pepper is necessary.
- Base Mashed Potato Recipe (link below)
For the Mix Ins:
- ½ cup crumbled crisp cooked bacon
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
Click here for the mashed potato recipe---->>>>THE BEST HOLIDAY MASHED POTATOES. Prepare the best holiday mashed potatoes as directed. Just before serving add the bacon, garlic and rosemary