Don’t have time to make cinnamon rolls? Here’s a different alternative to a cinnamon roll. Layers of blueberry lemon sauce mixed with a spicy cake. This blueberry lemon breakfast cake will make you think you’re eating a blueberry lemon cinnamon roll.
So tasty and not your typical breakfast bread. Like most breakfast breads it can also serve as a dessert.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup blueberry sauce
For the Glaze:
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped sweetened dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan or an 8-inch tube pan.
- Stir together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel.
- Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Stir together blueberry sauce and the remaining 1 tablespoon of the finely shredded lemon peel. Spread one-third of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Carefully spread half of the blueberry mixture over batter.
- Repeat layers.
- Spread remaining batter over top.
- Using a knife, gently swirl batter and blueberry mixture. Do not over mix.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes or a wire rack.
- Remove cake from pan; cool thoroughly on wire rack.
For the Glaze:
- Combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice.
- Stir in additional lemon juice until icing reaches drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle icing over cake.
- Sprinkle with the dried blueberries.
This is a LBC original!
MORE BREAKFAST OR QUICK BREAD RECIPES
NEVER MISS A POST!
Sign up for my newsletter (two per month) and receive my recipes in your inbox. Easy to see anytime and saved for safe keeping. Click Here and sign up today! —->>>>CURTAIN CALL NEWSLETTER