Caramel Swirl Buttercream Frosting: A light and fluffy buttercream with a touch of spice and beautiful swirls of caramel. The perfect Fall cupcake frosting.
How to Store Frosting
Key Steps to Making Caramel Swirl Buttercream Frosting
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature
- Use unsalted butter
- Use pure vanilla extract not imitation
- Make sure all the ingredients have been combined and whipped together BEFORE adding the Dulce de Leche.
- FOLD….DO NOT STIR OR WHIP IN THE CARAMEL.
- The most important step (other then using room temperature ingredients) is to whip the frosting 3 to 5 minutes. The end result is a light as air frosting that will melt in your mouth.
Switch out the Swirl Ingredients
- Make one base frosting recipe, use different ingredients to make a variety of swirl frostings
- Hot Fudge ice cream topping
- Strawberry Preserves (any preserves)
- Melted Peanut Butter Chips ( add a little cream to make it into a ganache)
Why should my ingredients be at room temperature?
How to Make a White Frosting from Yellow Butter.
- Even though this information doesn’t apply to this frosting recipe. I thought I would add it anyway because it’s still helpful for other frostings. These techniques will not lead to an ultra white frosting but there will be no yellow. There is not food dye added and real butter is used.
- Use cheap butter. The expensive butters have a deeper yellow color then the cheaper butters.
- Whip it….whip it good! Whip your buttercream 3 to 5 minutes. This not only allows air to enter your buttercream but also whitens the butter.
MORE FROSTING RECIPES
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dulce de leche
- Beat butter, powdered sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large mixing bowl, just until combined.
- Add vanilla, increase speed to medium high and beat until fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add dulce de leche, use a spatula and cut in the caramel leaving streaks.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted a large tip ( your choice of design).
- Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes.