Crunchy Lemonade Chicken Tenders | These chicken tenders are nice and crunchy without frying and full of the light and bright lemon flavor. This wonderful kid friendly dinner option is so great tasting that the adults will love it too!
These tenders are the best way to use up extra lemons (from your tree) and fresh thyme from the garden.
Crunchy Lemonade Chicken Tenders
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts cut into strips
For the Marinade
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, divided
- 1/2 cup FRESH lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 cup warm water
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Coating
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon FRESH thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- cooking spray
For the Marinade:
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, lemon juice, brown sugar, milk and water; whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Season chicken tenders with salt and pepper; toss in marinade.
Marinade no longer then 1 hour or the lemon juice will begin to break down the chicken
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the panko, thyme, the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag and shake to mix.
Line your baking sheet with parchment paper (This will make clean up so much easier)
- Set rack on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Remove chicken tenders from marinade, drop into the bag with the panko mixture and shake to coat; (do this in batches) transfer to the rack.
- Mist the chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake until golden (about 30 minutes).
MORE LIGHT RECIPES