Overnight Baked Apple Spice Donuts | A tender donut with shredded apple and apple pie spice, rolled in a sugar and cinnamon mixture. How perfect are these donuts? You can make the batter the night before and bake them first thing in the morning without having to make a mess! These amazing morning treats are a cinch when you can make it ahead of time.
This recipe makes 8 regular size donuts. You can also make them mini just adjust the baking time or if you don’t have a donut pan make them into muffins! Any shape you choose to make them they will be delicious!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2/3 cup shredded peeled apple (I used 1 medium Fuji)
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coat a donut pan with six indentations OR 9 muffin cups with non stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, sugar, wheat flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, salt, and baking soda.
- With a pastry blender cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- In a small bowl combine the egg and yogurt.
- Add egg mixture to the flour mixture.
NOTE: At this point the mixture is a little dry but the moisture from the apple takes care of that.
- Stir in the shredded apple.
- Spoon batter into a large zip top bag; snip the corner about 1/2-inch and pipe batter into the prepared donut pan or muffin cups.
- Spray a piece of plastic wrap large enough to cover the pan with non stick cooking spray; cover batter coated side down.
- Chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove plastic wrap; bake 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the donut or muffin comes out clean.
- In a small bowl combine the 6 tablespoons of sugar and the 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- As soon as donuts are cool enough to handle, dip into cinnamon sugar to coat.
- Serve warm
MORE DONUT RECIPES