These Garden Fresh Summer Zucchini Burgers allow you to use up some of your garden bounty. If you’re growing zucchini or you have in the past you know how out of control a zucchini plant can get. Don’t you just love the one you didn’t see yesterday and now it’s the size of your arm? These Zucchini Burgers are perfect for those over sized garden zucchini. Skip throwing it in the compost pile and make juicy burgers instead!
ZUCCHINI: A VERY VERSATILE VEGETABLE
Put away the steamer and start really creating with this versatile vegetable. From savory dishes to desserts the zucchini is the perfect example of taking a fresh garden vegetable and thinking outside the box. Below you will find a small example of what you can create with zucchini. Honorable Mention: Steamed, fried and grilled.
- Hash Brown Quiche– A wonderful potato crust with a delicious creamy zucchini filling.
- Zucchini Bread – A great way to start your morning with a wonderful blend of spices.
- Low Fat Zucchini Muffins – Perfect for a grab and go breakfast.
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps – With an Asian flare, chunks of chicken and zucchini all wrapped in a crispy lettuce leaf.
- Saucy Zucchini Lasagna – So good you’ll never miss the noodles.
- Stuffed Zucchini – Hollowed out zucchini filled with chicken, mushrooms, carrots and more great ingredients to make this the best light summer dish!
- Lemon Zucchini Cake – Loaded with bright, lemony flavor.
- 2 cups zucchini (about 2 medium), shredded
- 1 medium onion, shredded
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- dash of your favorite chili pepper like cayenne pepper (i used ancho chili)
- 3 large hard cooked egg whites, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 whole wheat hamburger bunt, split ( I used Whole Wheat Sandwich Slims
- toppings (lettuce, tomato and onion)
- Drain zucchini and onion, squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Pat dry. In a small bowl, combine the zucchini, onion, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and cayenne. Gently stir in cooked egg whites.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat, once the skillet and oil is hot, turn down the heat to low (I set mine at 2 on my electric stove). Drop batter (2 at a time) by scant 2/3 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten.
- The first side of the first batch will brown fast (becasue the skillet is still hot from the initial heating) so watch it. Once you turn the burger over the skillet won't be as hot. This will allow the burger to finish cooking. Cook the first side 5 minutes and the other side 10 minutes.
- Take the burgers out of the and onto a paper towel lined plate. Add remaining burgers and also the remaining tablespoon of oil. Press with spatula, cook on low 5 minutes, turn and finish cooking 10 minutes. Place on a paper towel to drain.
- Serve on buns with toppings.