Low Fat Zucchini Muffins | Perfect for a grab and go breakfast but just as delicious served at a brunch or breakfast buffet. These Low Fat Zucchini Muffins are not only made with fresh from the garden zucchini but also have wholesome ingredients like chia seeds, wheat germ, raisins and walnuts.
This is zucchini season. Most gardens are overflowing with this delicious vegetable. You can only grill, steam and sauté so much before you get tired of your bounty. Try these healthy omega 3 enriched Low Fat Zucchini Muffins! At only 140 calories each, you can have TWO! Make a double batch and stick one batch in the freezer!
Have you heard about chia seeds? Of course you have. Remember the chia pet? Yep, these are the same seeds. I guess they (I don’t know who) decided they were good for us. So they were taken off the chia pet and now they are served to us. Why? Because CHIA SEEDS are a nutritional powerhouse, full of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.
This recipe also calls for Splenda. Splenda is a sugar substitute and is measured equal with granulated sugar. What that means is if a recipe calls for 1 cup of Splenda (like this recipe) you can substitute 1 cup of granulated sugar. Making this substitution will increase each muffin by almost 50 calories.
- 1 cup Splenda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line muffin tins with 17 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine the Splenda, vanilla, egg whites, applesauce and shredded zucchini.
- Stir until well combined.
- Add to the zucchini mixture the flours, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, wheat germ, chia seeds, raisins and walnuts.
- Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop distribute even amounts of the muffin batter among the 17 lined muffin cups.
- Bake 17 to 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 Muffin
Amount Per Serving Calories 140
MORE MUFFIN RECIPES
Sign up for my newsletter and receive my recipes in your inbox. Easy to see anytime and saved for safe keeping. Click Here and sign up today! —->>>>CURTAIN CALL NEWSLETTER