Make these witches brew butter cookies. They literally melt in your mouth! Add some fun to your HALLOWEEN PARTY by separating the dough and coloring it to make a creepy cookie! Add dry ice to a Witch’s Cauldron for an added creepy look!
Witches Brew Butter Cookies
- 2 cups plus 6 tablespoons all purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- food coloring (optional) green, yellow, purple, black
- sprinkles (optional) 3 tablespoons of each color
- In a large mixing bowl combine the 2 cups of flour, baking powder, salt and sugars.
- Mix briefly.
- Add the butter in pieces, mix until the mixture has the consistency of cornmeal.
- Add the vanilla and mix just until a ball forms.
- Divide into 3 - 8 ounce balls.
- Add food coloring of your choice and 2 tablespoons of flour to each ball.
- Roll out each portion of dough between sheets of waxed paper into a rectangle about 11 x 8-1/2-inches.
- Peel wax paper and lay layers on top of each other in color order.
- Leave the wax paper at the bottom of the bottom layer to help with the rolling process.
- Roll into a jelly roll.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Place sprinkles into a 9x13 pan, roll the log until completely covered.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Slice the log into 1/4 inch thick cookies and bake on parchment lined baking sheets for 15 to 17 minutes, until the cookies are no longer shiny on top and the bottoms are golden.