Make these witches brew butter cookies. They literally melt in your mouth! Add some fun to your HALLOWEEN PARTY by separating the dough and coloring it to make a creepy cookie! Add dry ice to a Witch’s Cauldron for an added creepy look!
NOTE: I mixed together leaf green and lemon yellow food coloring gel to get my electric green color (more yellow than green).
Create your own Recipe Box and save your favorite Lady Behind The Curtain recipes. Make a Meal Plan with your favorite recipes and ZipList will automatically add the ingredients to a Shopping List.
Witches Brew Butter Cookies
- 2 cups plus 6 tablespoons all purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- food coloring (optional) green, yellow, purple, black
- sprinkles (optional) 3 tablespoons of each color
- In a large mixing bowl combine the 2 cups of flour, baking powder, salt and sugars.
- Mix briefly.
- Add the butter in pieces, mix until the mixture has the consistency of cornmeal.
- Add the vanilla and mix just until a ball forms.
- Divide into 3 - 8 ounce balls.
- Add food coloring of your choice and 2 tablespoons of flour to each ball.
- Roll out each portion of dough between sheets of waxed paper into a rectangle about 11 x 8-1/2-inches.
- Peel wax paper and lay layers on top of each other in color order.
- Leave the wax paper at the bottom of the bottom layer to help with the rolling process.
- Roll into a jelly roll.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Place sprinkles into a 9x13 pan, roll the log until completely covered.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Slice the log into 1/4 inch thick cookies and bake on parchment lined baking sheets for 15 to 17 minutes, until the cookies are no longer shiny on top and the bottoms are golden.
17 IDEAS FOR A WITCH THEMED HALLOWEEN PARTY