Slow Cooker South of the Border Roast. A juicy flavorful dish, slow cooked to perfection. With amazing ingredients to create the best burritos or tacos!
Perfect for Taco Tuesday!
Here’s how to make this fabulous Slow Cooker South of the Border Roast.
- Place roast in the slow cooker
- Mix together chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Rub all of the roast
- In a separate bowl mix together dice tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tapioca and dry mustard
- Pour over roast
- Cover and cook on high 5 to 5½ hours or on low (my preferred way)10 to 11 hours.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and lime wedges
Why Use Tapioca in the Slow Cooker?
Tapioca is a thickener. It has no flavor. It’s easier to use instead of cornstarch. Tapioca can be added at the beginning of the recipe along with the rest of the ingredients. Slow cooking is great, but because there is no evaporation everything tends to get runny. DON’T HAVE TAPIOCA? Dredge any meat in a little flour or use a little cornstarch and water at the end. Leave the lid off the last hour to allow some evaporation.
This is my Favorite Burrito/Taco Meat Recipe
- Simple ingredients
- Affordable ingredients
- Easy to make
- Ready and waiting at the end of the day
- Versatile (tacos, burritos or as a roast)
- Just as good as leftovers!
- 2 pound boneless beef chuck pot roast
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- garnish, lime wedges
Place roast in slow cooker. In a small bowl stir together chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, and pepper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over meat; rub in mixture with fingers.
In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tapioca and mustard. Pour over meat in cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat for 10 to 11 hours or on high heat setting for 5 to 5 1/2 hours. Transfer roast to a cutting board, reserving cooking liquid. Cut meat into pieces to serve as a roast or shred for taco and burrito meat.
If serving as a roast: Drizzle cooking liquid over meat and sprinkle cilantro on top.
If serving as taco or burrito meat serve cilantro and lime wedges on the side.