Semi Homemade Pesto Stuffed Fried Chicken Breast | A simple dish stuffed with pesto, walnuts and raisins. Sweet and savory at its finest. This semi homemade recipe is just what you need when you’re too busy to make a complicated dinner and makes a great freezer dinner. Adding store bought pesto to the chicken not only adds a lot of delicious flavor but also makes this recipe super easy to put together.
No Stress Semi Homemade Pesto Stuffed Fried Chicken Breast
- If making this delicious dish and freezing it for a later dinner isn’t what you’re looking for but you still need an easy option, here is my suggestion for making dinner easy and delicious.
- Set your self up for success and make as much as you can the night before.
- Make the pesto filling
- Prepare the chicken breasts
- Stuff the chicken with the pesto mixture
- Close with toothpicks
- Place in a zip top bag and refrigerate until the next evening
- The next night follow the remaining instructions
MY FAVORITE SIDE DISHES
- HOLIDAY GREEN BEANS
- MARSALA RISOTTO WITH FRESH HERBS
- FRESH FROM THE GARDEN ROASTED BEETS
- POTATO CASSEROLE
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 pounds)
For the Pesto Filling:
- ½ cup store bought pesto
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the Coating:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl mix together the pesto, walnuts, raisins, salt and pepper. With a sharp knife make a horizontal slit in each piece of chicken to create a 3 1/2-inch pocket. Fill each breast with the pesto mixture. Close with toothpicks.
In a medium bowl add the flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to mix. Press flour onto the prepared chicken, pat off any excess. Pour oil into a large oven proof skillet (I like using a cast iron skillet but any oven proof skillet will work), heat on medium. Brown on both sides. NOTE: This step is only to brown the chicken NOT to cook it all the way through. Place skillet (with chicken) into the preheated oven to finish cooking. Cover with foil for the first 30 minutes of baking, uncover and finish another 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°.