Mixed Berry Cheesecake: Indulge in the creamy decadence of a berry cheesecake that will leave your tastebuds begging for more. As summer approaches and the bountiful harvest of fresh berries begins, there is no better time to discover the perfect dessert to satisfy your cravings. Bursting with vibrant flavors and beautifully layered, this classic dessert is a crowd-pleaser and a staple in any baker’s repertoire. In this post you’ll learn how to master the perfect texture, tips and tricks to create a show-stopping creamy cheesecake that will impress even the most discerning dessert connoisseur.
Are you seeing red, white and blue? Me too! This cheesecake is also known as the Red, White and Blue Cheesecake! Fun for Memorial Day or 4th of July! Simply crush fresh fruit and divide the batter in half to make the berry layer. Now that’s how you celebrate! Scroll down for another berry option to help you make this easy dessert for the perfect summer berry cheesecake.
Can I Freeze Cheesecake?
- To use the bottom of springform pan: Once the cheesecake is completely cooled and has been in the refrigerator (in the pan) for at least 4 hours preferably overnight. Release the outer rim of the pan, leaving the cheesecake sitting on the bottom of the pan. Wrap the cheesecake with several layers of plastic wrap and a layer of foil. Place in an airtight container.
- To use a cardboard bottom: Once the cheesecake has been refrigerated and if completely cooled and firm, use a knife to separate the cheesecake from the pan bottom. Slide it onto a foil wrapped piece of heavy hardboard. Then wrap with several layers of plastic wrap and a layer of foil. (This method scares me)
- For a cheesecake with fruit topping: ALWAYS freeze cheesecake WITHOUT the topping. Add the topping before serving
- Always thaw a cheesecake overnight in the refrigerator: When partially thawed, transfer if from the cardboard or springform bottom to a serving plate.
- INDIVIDUAL SLICES: One freezing method I use all the time is the individual slice. I pre slice the cheesecake, add a strip of parchment paper between each slice, and place it in a freezer safe airtight container. It’s fantastic for single servings.
How to Make Mixed Berry Cheesecake
CREAMY BERRY CHEESECAKE INGREDIENT LIST-full recipe below in recipe card
THE CHEESECAKE COOKIE CRUST
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
THE STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE FILLING
- 5 ( 8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup crushed fresh strawberries
- 1 cup crushed fresh blueberries
THE CHEESECAKE BERRY TOPPING
- Fresh blueberries and strawberries for topping, optional
BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE INSTRUCTIONS
THE BUTTER COOKIE CRUST
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and lemon peel.
- Cut in cold butter until crumbly.
- Whisk egg yolks and vanilla; add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Press onto the bottom and 3 inches up the sides of a 9-in. springform pan.
- Place pan on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
THE BLUEBERRY FILLING AND BERRY TOPPING
- Reduce heat to 375°; wrap pan (sides and bottom) with foil.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Into the cream cheese mixture, add half and half, flour, lemon peel, salt and vanilla.
- Add eggs and yolk; beat on low speed just until combined, making sure to scrape around the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Divide cheesecake batter in half (about 3 cups each).
- Fold crushed strawberries and crushed blueberries into half of the batter.
- Pour berry filling cheesecake mixture onto crust.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Place filled springform pan in a large baking pan; put the pan with the cheesecake in the oven.
- Pour hot water into the pan until it reaches about 2-inches.
- Bake berry cheesecake 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool 1 hour.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Carefully run a knife around the edges of the baked cheesecake; loosen sides and remove.
- Decorate the top of the cheesecake with sliced strawberries and whole blueberries.
Baking and Cooling a Cheesecake
- DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR: Avoid opening the oven door while the cheesecake is baking. Big cracks are often caused by drafts and temperature change.
- DO NOT OVER BAKE: Avoid over baking. This is the most common culprit of cracking. When the cheesecake is done, there will still be a 2 to 3 inch wobbly spot in the center of the cheesecake.
- LEAVE IN THE OVEN: Once the cheesecake is done baking, turn the oven off, crack the door open , and leave the cheesecake inside for about 1 hour. Again, trying to avoid sudden changes in temperature.
- CHILL: Once the cheesecake is at room temperature, cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill 4-8 hours or preferably overnight.
What is a Cheesecake Water Bath? Plus, How to Make a Water Bath
Cheesecakes are often baked in water baths. This simply means that the cheesecake is baked in its round springform pan, then the pan is placed into a larger pan with hot water inside. This method is used because cheesecake loves a humid environment! The result? NO CHEESECAKE CRACKS!
WHAT IS A WATER BATH?
- Cheesecakes are egg-heavy. Eggs need a moist and humid environment to properly rise and avoid drying out or burning.
- The steam from the hot water will lift the cheesecake up slowly and evenly, reducing the risk of cracks on the surface.
- The slow and even steam baking method helps prevent the cheesecake from sinking back down as it cools.
THE WATER BATH
- Wrap the springform pan with aluminum foil on the bottom and up the sides (see video).
- Place the cheesecake pan in a large roasting pan. Fill the cheesecake pan with filling. Then fill the roasting pan with about 1/2 inch – 1 inch of hot water. I usually fill with water once placed in the oven to bake because it is hard to transfer a water-filled roasting pan with a cheesecake inside of it into the oven and not spill.
HOW TO MAKE TRIPLE BERRY CHEESECAKE
RASPBERRY PUREE INGREDIENT LIST
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries (during peak season) or use frozen berries
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons water
RASPBERRY PUREE INSTRUCTIONS
- Rinse raspberries, add to a blender and blend starting on low, working up to high.
- Add sugar and 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds. Set aside
- MAKE CHEESECAKE AS INSTRUCTED ALL THE WAY THROUGH STEP #8.
- Pour raspberry puree into a piping bag or zip top bag, snip the corner.
- Starting in the center and making a spiral design out to the edge, add the berry puree.
- Use a skewer or knife to swirl the puree.
- Bake as instructed.
- Add some fresh raspberries with the strawberries and blueberries to the topping.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERY GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST INGREDIENT LIST
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST INSTRUCTIONS
- Spray a 9-inch springform pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl add the cracker crumbs, sugar and butter, stir to combine, pour into the prepared pan, press down the bottom and up the sides of the pan (about 1-inch) and set aside.
How to Slice Cheesecake
Before slicing hold your knife under hot water—this makes slicing a cheesecake a lot easier.
MORE CHEESECAKE DELICIOUS RECIPES
CHOCOLATE EXPLOSION OREO CHEESECAKE 2. CARROT CAKE NO BAKE CHEESECAKE 3. BROWNIE SWIRL CHEESECAKE 4. PERSIMMON CHEESECAKE 5. CINNAMON ROLL CHEESECAKE 6. BANANA BREAD NO BAKE CHEESECAKE 7. CLICK HERE FOR OVER 70 CHEESECAKE RECIPES→CHEESECAKE RECIPES
SIGN UP FOR THE LADY BEHIND THE CURTAIN NEWSLETTER
NEWSLETTER: Receive (twice a month) seasonally themed newsletters full of recipes, tips and tricks. Sometimes even FREE gifts! Click here for the Newsletter→CURTAIN CALL NEWSLETTER
THANKS FOR VISITING♥