Mario Kart Cupcake Pull Apart | When it comes to games I love to play, Mario Kart is at the top of the list. I played with my son when he was young (and older) and now I play with my granddaughter. So it stands to reason that I would create a fun Mario Kart Themed cupcake. With cars racing around the track, a pond that proudly holds the trophy this cupcake pull apart will be popular with boys and girls! I also know a few adults that would be stoked to get a Mario Kart Cupcake Pull Apart for their birthday.
The recipe is simple, cake mix and my Bakery White Frosting. It’s all about the decorations for this birthday cake. Starting with the construction.
First, you’ll need a 13×19-inch cake board. This can be purchased at any retail store that carries cake decorating supplies. I found mine at Michael’s. TIP: If you have a bakery supply store near buy purchase your board from them. I had to buy a whole pack from Michael’s.
Arrange baked cupcakes as best you can into an oval shape. Tint most of the frosting green. I used Wilton Leaf Green.
Tint the remaining frosting blue. I used Wilton Sky Blue. Add a small amount of frosting to 5 of the cupcakes at the top of the arrangement.
Cut two cupcakes in half. Place 3 full size cupcakes on top and the two half cupcakes on each side.
Using a Wilton tip #789 in a back and forth motion, cover the cupcakes with a thin layer of green frosting (except the center where the pond will be). Use an off set spatula to smooth frosting.
Using a Wilton tip #1A in s spiral motion, cover the center (pond area) with a thin layer of blue frosting. Use an off set spatula to create texture.
Using a Wilton tip #234 add grass with the remaining green frosting, making sure to have some tip over onto the track. NOTE: I had to order this tip, while tip #233 is considered the “grass” tip this one is the larger size to that and will enable you to make grass at a much faster pace.
Place a mini ice cream cone in the center of the pond, add a dollop of frosting, place the trophy. OPTIONAL: Add some grass to the edges of the cone spilling into the water along with some chocolate rocks.
If you choose you can add a few fish shaped sprinkles. I found mine at Hobby Lobby, I also saw some a Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft stores.
NOTE: All the tips with the exception of #234 were purchased at Walmart.
Mario Kart Cupcake Pull Apart
- 2 (15.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients listed on the boxes
- 3 times the Bakery White Frosting
- one mini ice cream cone
- green gel food coloring
- blue gel food coloring
- Optional; flower and fish shaped sprinkles
For the Cupcakes:
- Make and bake cupcakes according to package directions.
TIP: Fill each cupcake liner with a level ice cream scoop of batter.
For the Frosting:
- Separate frosting into THREE batches, most of the frosting will be green, the next blue and a very small amount to place on top of the mini ice cream cone for the trophy.
How to Construct the Pull Apart:
- Position 29 cupcakes on a 13x19-inch piece of cardboard for cakes.
- Add a dollop of green tented frosting to the top 3 cupcakes and one on each side.
- Take the wrapper off 5 cupcakes; place 3 full size cupcakes to the top center cupcakes.
- Cut the remaining two cupcakes in half; place one half on each side of the top 3.
- Cover the elevated cupcakes and along the side making sure to fill the gaps between the cupcakes.
- Use an off set spatula to smooth the frosting up the side and around the cupcakes.
- Using a Wilton tip #1A in s spiral motion, cover the center (pond area) with a layer of blue frosting; use an off set spatula to create texture.
- Fit a large piping bag with a #789 tip; fill bag with green tented frosting.
- Crumble three cupcakes and the leftovers from the cupcakes that were cut in half to make the race track.
- Don't worry about the crumbs, you'll be covering them up with grass.
- Using a Wilton tip #234 add grass with the remaining green frosting, making sure to have some tip over onto the track.
- Place a mini ice cream cone in the center of the pond, add a dollop of frosting, place the trophy.
- Decorate with flower and fish shaped sprinkles, cars and flags.
- Decorate the extra cupcakes with the leftover frosting.
NEVER MISS A POST!
Sign up for my newsletter (two per month) and receive my recipes in your inbox. Easy to see anytime and saved for safe keeping. Click Here and sign up today! —->>>>CURTAIN CALL NEWSLETTER