Pumpkin Upside Down Cake | There is only ONE flavor that screams autumn and that’s non other then PUMPKIN! When the leaves present a colorful display, the air is crisp and the pies are in the oven. That’s when you know fall has arrived. Welcome to the upside down version of a pumpkin cake. The caramel frosting/coating starts on the bottom and ends up on the top and with creamy pumpkin cake underneath.
This small size dessert is perfect for holiday entertaining. When desserts are plentiful at the Thanksgiving table, guests can have a small piece and enjoy the other desserts too!
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper; spray with non stick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan cook the brown sugar, butter and water just until mixture bubbles (about 4 minutes).
- Pour sugar mixture into the bottom of prepared dish; sprinkle with walnuts and cranberries.
- In a medium bowl stir together the pumpkin, granulated sugar, oil and eggs until well blended.
- In another medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and pumpkin spice.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry mixture, stirring until combined.
- Spoon batter over the brown sugar mixture; smooth with an off set spatula.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes; run a knife around the edges and invert onto a serving platter.
- Remove parchment paper and serve warm
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES