These beautiful Sunset Cupcakes are not only pretty to look at much like a sunset, they are tasty too. With a layer of lemon cake and a layer of orange cake topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting. They remind me of the sunsets we saw while we were in Hawaii.
Serve these Sunset Cupcakes at your Luau along with POG to drink.
I’m also sharing with you how I got my two tone frosting. In the past I have tried to load one color of frosting to one side of my piping bag and another on top. It’s not easy but doable. The technique I’m sharing with you makes this task a lot easier and fool proof unlike the way I used to do it in the past.
For two tone frosting you will need 2 small piping bags and 1 large.
Fill the small bags. CAUTION: I filled my bags too much so they wouldn’t fit into my large bag. I had to take some out. So be mindful when filling your small bags that they BOTH have to fit into the larger bag. Use a twist tie to keep the bags closed tight.
Fit your large bag with the tip you wish to use. NOTE: It must also have a large opening so it can fit two piping bag tips. Cut the end off of the small bags. Put the large tip into the large bag. Insert the two smaller bag tips into the piping tip.
Frost cupcakes as you normally would and PRESTO you have two tone frosted cupcakes!
Pass out the Leis because it's Luau time!
For the Sunset Cupcakes
- 1 lemon cake mix (plus ingredients on the box to make cupcakes)
- 1 orange cake mix (plus ingredients on the box to make cupcakes)
- optional:yellow and orange gel food coloring
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 cups confectioners sugar
- yellow and orange gel food coloring
For the Sunset Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 48 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Mix lemon cake mix as the package directs.
- To intensify the yellow color add yellow gel food color.
- Fill each liner with 1 tablespoon of lemon cake batter.
- Spread to the edges and level.
- Mix orange cake mix as the package directs.
- To intensify the orange color add orange gel food color.
- Add 1 tablespoon of orange cake batter on top of the lemon.
- Gently spread to the edges and level.
TIP: I used my finger to smooth out the batter and gently move it to the edges.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin tins 10 minutes.
- Take cupcakes out of tins and cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla.
- Add sugar 1 cup at a time.
- If the frosting is too thick add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the frosting reaches piping consistency.
- Separate frosting equally into two bowls.
- Add yellow gel food coloring to one and orange to the other.
- Mix each color until there is no more white.
- Follow piping directions above.
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain