How to Make Homemade Dulce de Leche: Making your own creamy caramel is a lot easier then you might think. No candy thermometer is needed. The result is a creamy delicious caramel that isn’t too sweet like the candy version. It has a beautiful nutty color and wonderful depth of flavor, which I would describe as a milky caramel. ONE INGREDIENT—That’s all you need! Perfect for so many treats.
What is Dulce de Leche?
The many uses of dulce de leche
- ADD THIS INCREDIBLE CARAMEL TO ANY OF THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW
- HOT CHOCOLATE
- FILLING FOR CUPCAKES
- TOPPING FOR CHEESECAKE
- ICE CREAM TOPPING
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS RECIPE
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE DULCE DE LECHE
- Remove the label from the can or cans.
- Place in a large pot.
- Fill the pot with water until the can or cans are covered 1-2 inches of water.
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer 3 hours; IMPORTANT—CHECK THE LEVEL OF THE WATER EVERY 30 MINUTES. HAVE A KETTLE OF BOILING WATER READY TO TOP OFF THE SIMMERING WATER AND BRING BACK TO COVERING THE CAN OR CANS 1 -2 INCHES.
- Remove from water and allow to cool completely before opening the can.
- TWO WAYS OF STORING:
- UNOPENED: Unopened cans of dulce de leche can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 months.
- OPENED: Transfer dulce de leche to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.