Orange Cream Chocolate Eclairs: These beautiful oblong pastries are filled with an orange cream and topped with a drizzle of dark chocolate. One of my favorite flavor combos. Let me show you how easy it is to make your own (pate a choux) French pastry. The perfect addition to any luncheon or brunch.
- Choux has a reputation of being difficult, but in reality the pastry is no more difficult then making cupcakes. This amazing French pastry is surprisingly simple.
- THE MANY USES FOR CHOUX PASTRY
- Pipe logs (as in this recipe), fill with pastry cream for eclairs
- Pipe dollops and sandwich with whipped cream for cream puffs or profiteroles
- Add cheese and herbs to the dough to make Gougeres
- Deep fry the dough for churros, French cruller donuts and choux beignets
- Endless options when one dough (Choux Pastry) is mastered!
How to Make Choux Dough
- Most batters call for adding a cold liquid, but Choux start with a cooking step: the liquid is brought to a boil with butter and flour mixed in, then the doughy paste is cooked on the stovetop. Once the mixture has slightly cooled the eggs are beaten in. This makes choux a twice cooked dough. (Scroll down for the printable recipe)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place water and butter in a sauce pan and heat until the butter is melted and boiling.
- When boiling add the flour all at once, stir rapidly until mix ceases to stick to side of pan; transfer to a mixing bowl; mix until cooled.; add unbeaten eggs one at a time beating well after each egg until the mix is smooth.
- Use plain size 6 round pipping tip, fill a pipping bag and pipe into a 3½ to 4-inch oblong shape.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Slice in half lengthwise, fill with orange cream filling, add a drizzle of the ganache.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
HOW TO FREEZE ECLAIRS WITH OR WITHOUT FILLING
- Place filled or unfilled eclairs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Place in the freezer until frozen (about 1 hour)
- Place frozen eclairs in freezer safe containers up to 3 months
- NOTE: If using a bag, make sure to squeeze all the air out
ALMOND PASTRY CREAM FILLING—ALTERNATIVE ECLAIR FILLING
- INGREDIENTS —BONUS RECIPE—
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- In a medium saucepan stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt
- Gradually stir in half and half.
- Cook and stir on medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir an additional 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks.
- Return egg yolk mixture to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes constantly stirring.
- Remove from heat; strain pastry cream into a bowl and stir in almond extract..
- Cover with plastic wrap, chill about 4 hours or until cold DO NOT STIR.