Grandma’s Coconut Cream Pie. Sweet coconut surrounded by a delicious creamy custard and topped with homemade whipped cream. This Grandma’s Coconut Cream Pie truly is the BEST! A cool and creamy pie perfect for summer entertaining.
How to make Grandma’s Coconut Cream Pie
- FOR THE CRUST
- Add the flour and salt to a medium bowl; stir to combine.
- Using a pastry cutter of a fork and knife cut in the shortening until the pieces are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle water over flour mixture; starting with 6 tablespoons.
- Work the water into the dough.
- Add more water a tablespoon at a time until the dough is moist.
- Divide dough into two balls.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough into desired size.
- Blind bake the crust (scroll down for more info.)
- FOR THE FILLING
- In a mixer combine eggs, sugar and cornstarch.
- Using a whisk attachment beat on medium 5 minutes.
- While the egg mixture is beating, add the milk and butter to a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- While the mixer is still moving pour hot milk mixture into the egg mixture in thirds.
- Return all the ingredients to the saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until until cooled (at least 2 hours).
- Prepare pie crust as directed and bake using pie weights (I used dried beans)—cool completely.
- When custard mixture has cooled and thickened, add coconut and stir to combine.
- FOR THE HOMEMADE WHIP CREAM
- In a cold metal bowl, beat cream and sugar at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Spoon custard into cooled pie crust.
- Add the delicious light and fluffy homemade whipped cream.
- Top with toasted coconut.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
What is “blind” baking?
Blind baking is a process of baking a pie crust without filling. The “pie weights” help keep the pie dough flat.
Can I freeze this Coconut Cream Pie
How to Freeze Homemade Coconut Cream Pie
HOW TO TOAST COCONUT
MORE HOLIDAY PIE RECIPES
- PISTACHIO SALAD MOUSSE PIE
- EASY RAZZLEBERRY PIE
- EASY NO FAIL CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
- POTLUCK PEACH SLAB PIE
- ROCKY ROAD PIE
- ALL AMERICAN APPLE PIE
- CHOCOLATE COBBLER
- TRIPLE BERRY COBBLER