Corn tortillas have a significant amount of less fat than flour tortillas the same size. That’s one of the reasons this Green Chili Breakfast Casserole is the perfect weekend breakfast. Big on flavor but only 255 calories per serving! Perfect for a busy Saturday.
Not just for breakfast! I also serve this delicious Green Chili Breakfast Casserole for dinner! Because doesn’t breakfast taste better at dinner time?
Add a layer of small corn tortilla pieces.
A layer of shredded cheese.
The onion and garlic mixture and repeat with the remaining tortillas, cheese and green chilies.
Pour egg mixture over the top of the layers and bake.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chile peppers do not drain
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 10-inch cast iron skillet or a 2-quart casserole dish with non stick cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet heat oil, add onion and cook 3 minutes, add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Take off the heat.
- Spread half of the tortillas in the bottom of the prepared pan/dish.
- Top with half the cheese and one can of the chile peppers.
- Sprinkle with onion mixture.
- Top with the remaining tortillas, cheese and chile peppers.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano.
- Pour over the tortilla layers.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set and the edges are golden brown.
- Let the casserole sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- Add optional tomatoes.
This recipe is from Lady Behind The Curtain
Amount Per Serving Calories 255
MORE MEXICAN RECIPES